lunes, 11 de abril de 2022

IESCHURE (One Woman Occult Black Metal from Ukraine) interview

Oxido: Hello Lilita, it's a pleasure for us to be able to do this interview... Your IESCHURE project is quite different from most of the Black Metal bands in the scene. What ideas did you have when you created it?

Lilita Arndt: Death, Occultism, Darkness, Individualism. The main theme is dark side of human existence, all, that is in the shadow, that majority of people try to avoid, to reject from their lives. So my whole creativity is devoted to this theme. 

O: Did you always work alone in IESCHURE recordings? Or have you had collaborations with other musicians?

LA: Yes, I used to work alone. Only on «Phantoms Of God» I worked with session drummer. Firstly I programmed drumms and later I asked a professional drummer to re-record them in order to make «live» sound for drumming.

O: Your various releases to date have appeared under different labels. Why has it happened like this?

LA: I prefer to work with various labels. It is real freedom to choose the best terms for the concrete release. I forever chose the best proposal that is at this moment for my project. So, it is only for practical reason as i love my project and want the best for it. IESCHURE is my independent underground project and I have no long lasting contracts with any label. So I have a freedom to work with that labels I want.As I know many underground bands do in same way.

O: How was the collaboration in your last split with a band from Brazil?

LA: I think atmospheres of IESCHURE and Promethean Gate fits to each other well for making a split. Occult theme is present in both projects. Promethean Gate offered to make a split on CD and I decided that it is a good idea. 

My part of this split is taken from tracks of “Phantoms Of God”.

O: Tell us a little about your sources of inspiration. What motivates you to compose?

LA: I can be inspired by many things.  Life, people, books, films...

O: Your previous project, EMBRACE OF HEDERA https://embraceofhedera.bandcamp.com/releases ), had little to do with the IESCHURE sound. Tell us a little about it. Any chance you can revive it?

LA: It is my old acoustic project that by its concept is far away from IESCHURE. I created that songs during 2007-2011 and recorded in 2015. They were released as the split and then separately on CD. Recently Ephemeric Productions offered me to re-release it on cassettes with the new design. I found that it was a good idea. EMBRACE OF HEDERA is a melancholic dark romantic music of acoustic guitar and clean female vocal. I do not plan to continue this project.

O: In recent years you had various collaborations with different bands, singing on several recordings. Did any of them leave you memories or experiences that you would like to comment on?

LA: Yes, I took part as a vocalist in various projects and bands. And each of them gave me good experience. But of course the most important for me is my own project, because working alone is the best type of music creating for me.

O: There was an album, "Marginal", by a band called Detention, on which you sang the whole thing. It was one of your first recordings. What do you remember about it?

LA: Yeldar Rakishev (the mastermind behind the project “Detention”) asked me to record vocal parts for his new album. He also is an author of all lyrics in “Marginal”. He was leading all the process of vocal record and he knew exactly what result he wanted to get. As I have said before it was a good and interesting experience for me.

O: You have just brought to light another project, extremely interesting, called AKHERNAR https://akhernar.bandcamp.com/releases ). What can you tell us about it?For those who don't know: what does the label "Occult Drone" mean?

LA: It is drone/dark ambient with occult theme in it. It is slow meditative music. 

O: You give preponderance to cassette editions. Do you like that format over vinyl or CD? Why?


LA: I do not prefer cassette format. Each of my release has its vinyl and CD versions. Some of them, for example «The Shadow» has 2 variants of CD release from 2 different labels (German and Brazilian).

O: There's a new realase in the making, along with Moloch, a new split. What can you tell us about it?

LA: Sergiy from Moloch and me decided to collaborate  because we are from the same town and know each other for a long time. And of course i think that music of our projects has a lot in common.So it is a nice idea to make such a split, i think. My part of split will be 5 new tracks: 2 Dungeon Synth and 3 of Raw Black Metal.

O: Lilita, how is the current situation near the city where you live?

LA: I live in the western part of Ukraine and now (at this moment I write) all is more quiet here. Sometimes Russians attack military objects in my region from the air. So here we have a big psychological anxiety because of long air alerts at day and at night. But of course at this moment all is much more better than in the East of Ukraine where situation is very bad.

O: What is your analysis about the reasons that led to unleashing this armed conflict?

LA: This war is caused by many factors. The problems inside of Ukraine (difference between West and East) and outer conflicts with Russia and also conflicts of Russia with the USA and Europe in political and economical plane. 

O: Argentina went through a terrible war during 1982, against the United Kingdom of Great Britain. I was then a teenager, but have vivid memories. Did you think about leaving your country? Or is nationalist feelings above everything?

LA: All is not so simple. Firstly I can not leave Ukraine because i have no place for living and working abroad. Ukraine is my home. And no one and nothing truly saying awaits me in another countries. I don't want to live as a refugee asking for food and place to sleep. Not everybody can bear such existence. Here i have my business, i have home.  Also because of military law not everyone who wants can go abroad for being in safe even during some time. You know men under age of 60 can not leave Ukraine otherwise they will be imprisoned. Just nationalism is not the motivation for majority of people.

O: We don't know if this is true or not, but we read a report that the President ruled that those who have left Ukraine due to this conflict cannot return. Is that so? What do you think about this?

LA: I do not know if they will do this, and I don’t know HOW they will do this. You know that today Ukrainian government forbid all oppositional political parties and media. So you can make a conclusion about what can be in future.

O: Lilita, do you have any opinion about feminist movements and their progress around the world? Do you think that today women are, as appropriate, on an equal footing with men, or that this is still missing?

LA: It depends on that about which country we are talking about. In some countries situation is good. In another countries it is still bad. Women today have right for building their lives in independent way,  to get education, they have right for job, the right to divorce, to manage property. Many of these things were impossible or limited even 200 years ago.

This is good that I personally have this rights and I can feel myself as a human being and to be independent.

If to talk about full equality with a man, I can say that it is hard to find what this "equality" really means. Man and woman are different physically and this fact causes differences in behavior and personal needs. So this theme is not concrete in its basis. Not all women want to be absolutely independent from a man, for ex. in financial plane and many families live in such a way. In Ukraine positive patriarchal values in family are still very appreciated by women. I think it is about personal choice. Also equal rights must bring equal responsibilities. Anyway the main is the respect to each other and common sense.

O: Let's get back to music... do you plan to play live with IESCHURE or any of your other projects? Have you ever done it?

LA: No, i don't plan live concerts.

O: What bands from the Ukrainian scene do you recommend us to listen to? Or any of the nearby countries?

LA: I never follow some recommendations, so I will not recommend any music. I am sure that today everybody is able to find what he/she really need and wants by own efforts.

O: What is your personal taste when it comes to the great Black Metal bands? And which ones represent you the most?

LA: Into my individual opinion the great Black Metal is made by Burzum and Urfaust, because they have all music components I like.

O: Please tell us about your next plans, besides the split with Moloch, both for this 2022 and in terms of wishes for the future.

LA: It is hard now to plan something. I am still working on the next material and I hope I will be able to finish it in these new circumstances.

O: Do you have a dream that you hope music will help you to come true?

LA: I have never thought about this. I never consider my music as a mean to make some dream come true.

O: We leave you the final words so that you mention something you want to say and we haven't asked you. Thank you very much for your time and good will, please take care of yourself because you are extremely valuable!!!

LA: Thanx to everyone who supports me and my project!

IESCHURE on the web:

https://ieschure.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ieschure 

https://www.instagram.com/ieschure/

https://twitter.com/ieschure

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK1chWPrWYKvYYFYEG0kXKA

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4T9jRm4P8L38xGTYgW7iNx

Interview by: Javier S. Parente, for OXIDO.-

Answered: Lilita Arndt, for IESCHURE.-

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario